Friday, December 17, 2010

Topic #4: Dust Bowl, Okies, and Hobos

July 31, 1931

On top of everything that has been happening to my family, it only continues to get worse. I don’t think its just happening to my family though. I know it’s occurring around our entire family. It is affecting my region, the Great Plains, the most though. Especially considering what is happening now. The Dust Bowl as they call it in the headlines. My dad unknowingly contributed to the huge dust storms. With no job, he was trying to be useful by preparing the farm for next year’s crop season. By plowing the land, he removed the valuable natural grasses that compacted the dirt. With many farmers doing this along with the prolonged drought and strong winds from the Rocky Mountains, massive amounts of dust were uplifted and rose into storms that created thick clouds of dust. This blanket of dirt overwhelmed towns and farms. My brother, only five years of age, is experiencing severe pneumonia and my mom, sadly, doesn’t expect him to live must longer, but our hopes and prayers are high. My mom wants us to migrate with so many other families in our area to the west coast, but my dad doesn’t want to leave the land in hopes of gaining our farm back someday. We’ve watched many Okies, also called hobos, move their families by hopping trains and hitch-hiking. My dad has almost given in to my mom seeing as how bad our family is suffering, but this farm was his everything. I’m clueless on what his final decision for our family will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment