Friday, December 17, 2010

Topic #3: Unemployment, Breadlines, Hoovervilles, and Foreclosures

March 12, 1931

Great. Things just continue to get better. My dad was working part time in a factory and he was laid off yesterday. He keeps arguing with my mom about money and moving and how much trouble our family is in right now. Without anyone in the family working, who knows how we will survive. My brother and I haven’t eaten in at least 48 hours. My daddy used to be able to walk in the breadlines during his lunch at work, but now I don’t know what he will do. The breadlines had volunteers who provided food and soup to those who could not afford it, but supply only went so far. The bank called today and they are taking my house. The house I grew up in with my family. The only place that I can call home. Its going to be foreclosed. Our entire farm will be property of the government. Dad said that there’s always Hoovervilles, where we can live in a shack in a small community and hopefully come together and gain the help of others. I don’t know what I can do to help? Nothing. I’m just a kid. This is awful.


No comments:

Post a Comment